Tuesday, October 1, 2013
US 2015 Green Card Lottery begins
The US Embassy Colombo announced today that the 2015 Diversity Visa Lottery Program, also known as the ‘Green Card Lottery,’ will start accepting online applications from 9:30PM (SL time) on October 1, 2013, until 9:30PM on November 2, 2013.
The Diversity Visa Lottery is an annual program that allows randomly selected applicants who were born in qualifying countries – including Sri Lanka and Maldives – the opportunity to interview for an immigrant visa, and if they are qualified for immigrant visas, to become legal permanent residents of the United States, the embassy said in a statement.
“If you are interested in finding out more about the program, including the qualifications and detailed instructions in Sinhala, Tamil and English, please go to the U.S. Embassy Colombo’s website at: srilanka.usembassy.gov/visas/diversity-visa-lottery-program.html.
To apply for the lottery, please go to https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/,” it said.
The statement also said:
A few suggestions to keep in mind:
• The lottery application period is only open from October 1, 2013 to November 2, 2013;
• The lottery is only open to people born in certain countries, including Sri Lanka and Maldives;
• You may only apply once; multiple entries will result in disqualification;
• You must meet either the educational or the work requirement qualification for the Diversity Visa program, so please make sure you qualify before applying;
• After submitting the online application, you will receive a confirmation number, which you must keep in order to check if you have been selected for a visa interview.
The online application is completely free – there are no hidden costs. Beware of scams and persons or companies making claims of affiliation with the U.S. Government, or those who promise improved odds of selection. You do not need 3rd party assistance to complete and submit an application.
Beginning May 2014, applicants may go online to www.dvlottery.state.gov to see if they have been selected for a visa interview. If selected, the interview will be with a U.S. Consular Officer, who will decide if you are eligible to receive a visa.