Monday, February 13, 2012
46 arrested for attacking buses... 4 remanded
Several buses which had not taken part in the ongoing strike have reportedly been attacked today (Feb. 13) allegedly by other bus operators. 46 persons were arrested in connection to the attacks on private buses operating in the Narahenpita area, police spokesman SP Ajith Rohana said.
Four persons out of the 46 arrested for attacking private buses operating in Narahenpita were ordered remanded by the Colombo Magistrate’s Court today (Feb. 13) .
The suspects, who were arrested earlier today for attacking buses operating in spite of the strike, were produced at court by the Narahenpita Police.
The suspects have been identified as mainly drivers and conductors of private buses, police informed court which then ordered that 4 of them be remanded till tomorrow (14) while the rest were released on personnel bail.
The 25 suspects released on bail were however ordered to appear before the Magistrate’s Court tomorrow court correspondent said.
Meanwhile police spokesman SP Ajith Rohana says a total of forty six (46) persons have been arrested so far for attacking Sri Lanka Transport Board (SLTB) and private buses.
Four suspects were arrested for assaulting the driver and conductor of a private bus in Narahenpita while 25 more were arrested for disrupting the peace.
Fourteen were arrested in Matara and another in Ekala, he said.